Local Scholarship Information
Tom Whitmore Post 28 Scholarship Criteria
It is the intention of the American Legion Tom Whitmore Post #28, to provide financial aid to Dependents of the American Legion Family who are serious about Furthering their education and careers; therefore, The American Legion Tom Whitmore Post #28 is offering up to three (3) scholarships to deserving seniors or undergraduate college students for the 2021 calendar year. Recipients will receive $500.00 payable to an accredited educational or equivalent during the award year.
Priority for selection of recipients:
Priority 1 - Post 28 Sons of the American Legion or Unit #28 Auxiliary Members in good standing.
Priority 2 - Dependents of Post 28 Family Members.
Priority 3 - Dependents of Honorably Discharged or Active Duty Military Veterans.
- A dependent is determined to be a child, step-child, grandchild or step-grandchild of a living or deceased veteran.
All scholarship applicants must be high school seniors currently enrolled in high school. Applicants must submit a letter (500 words or less) with the scholarship application. The letter should include, but not limited to, the following:
- Your goals and objectives.
- Extracurricular Activities (e.g. memberships in organizations, sports, ect.) to include a brief description of how you participated.
- Volunteer activities in which applicant has been involved to include a brief description of how you participated.
- Any recognition or accomplishments you have received within the last three years.
- Other information that would tell us more about you as an individual.
In addition to submitting your Letter of Application, please complete this scholarship application in its entirety for one of the $500.00 scholarships. Include a copy of High School or college transcripts. This scholarship will be given out in at the beginning of your next semester, pending verification of current enrollment.
Application must be received by the Tom Whitmore Post 28 Scholarship Committee by April 1st.